Friday, March 06, 2009

BAD REMARKS

I came across this letter in a popular newsletter by a line dance instructor and I publish it here for you to read. Negative and harmful comments are not only posted by people without a clue about linedancing BUT ALSO BY PEOPLE WHO ARE LINEDANCERS,INSTRUCTORS AND CHOREOGRAPHERS. As the author of this letter said, these people are SCAMMERS. We should ignore them.

Subject: Youtube settings
From: Sharon "Sharooni" Lamb

I love checking youtube on a daily basis to see what new linedance videos are posted. It doesn't have to be a new dance. I love watching teams or groups practice. I love watching young people and people who are just having fun. I love seeing the many different versions of a dance and skills all around the world. I am constantly amazed at how global linedance is. I would like to, however, make one comment/caution that I had seen before but recently found to be quite distressing.

When you upload your videos to youtube, you have the opportunity to make some choices as to how people may comment and rate your videos. Although the linedance community is large, the youtube community is even larger and many do not understand, nor do they care about what we hold dear. Linedancers encompass people who from every walk of life and all levels and skills. Every level should be entitled to their limelight without feeling that the only videos they should upload are ones that are at competition level.

A recent visit to a video deeply saddened me because a negative comment had been left by someone who had no clue. After I even left a positive comment, the negative commenter made another comment. I see this type of activity as a game by the persons who are doing it. That is such a shame to a group that was performing a very difficult dance, clearly stated they were practicing, and were doing an awesome job with the dance. I know they were proud that they had accomplished this level with that particular dance.

I highly recommend that if you are uploading videos to youtube that you set your preferences to allow you to either accept or reject comments and/or ratings. I strongly believe that the linedance community is not going to reject comments from other linedancers who truly understand what they are doing but will only use this to weed out what I consider are simply scammers.

Sharooni

( Source: Maslida and WLDN )

No comments: